The Glasgow Corps, the first Corps in Scotland, was constituted in on 19th November 1886 at a meeting chaired by Mr Jacques Van Raalte, the Netherlands Consul. Vice –chairmen elected at the meeting were Mr J.O.Leitke, the German Empire Consul and Mr F.H Underwood, the Consul for the United States of America. Other countries represented included Austro-Hungary, Brazil and Hawaii. The Articles of Association recorded the purpose of the Association “to promote social intercourse, and to facilitate their relations with the local authorities.” The membership fee was ten shillings.
AT ITS CORE.
The Consular Corps is made up of career diplomats, honorary consuls and directors of international and cultural institutions. We work closely with the Scottish Government and the Scottish Parliament as well as maintaining regular contact with the Scottish Office of the UK Government. We are all committed to meet on a regular basis to support member countries and organisations and their contribution to our host country, Scotland. Through various partnerships, we constantly look for ways to support life in this historic city from business to education.
THE CEREMONIAL CHAIN AND BADGE OF OFFICE.
TRADITION IN ALL ITS GLORY.
The Consular chain consists of a badge of office fastened to a number of links, inscribed with names and dates of former Deans. The chain and badge are made of gilded silver. The full chain is worn on ceremonial and certain official occasions. It is normally worn at the AGM, the Annual Dinner, during processions to St Giles, at the First Minister’s reception, the Burns supper in the Parliament, at the Spring Reception and the Royal Garden Party, to name just a few.